Wednesday 25 June 2014

Hung's, Chinatown, London

Looking for something filling, but devoid of any inspiration, I wandered around listlessly for a while peering into the windows of practically every establishment in Chinatown.  After almost deciding to move on, I thought I might visit one of the smaller, old fashioned, rice and noodle places.


Hung's wasn't particularly attractive, but having never been in, and seeming just like the type of place I might be looking from I thought I'd rather eat than keep wandering in the wilderness.

The menu consists largely of fried noodles, soup noodles, or rice, with a variety of fillings.  Like most places in Chinatown, with roast meats hanging in the window, I thought I would go with what is probably the speciality, and ordered huge three roast with rice, priced at £7.50.


Duck, bbq pork and char siu pork on rice

The portion was more than generous, and although very hungry, I struggled towards the end.  The roast duck was fatty, and tasty but somewhat weighed on the mind for its heart stopping properties.  The roast pork was slightly chewy, with the crusty crackling having soaked a little steam and not as crisp as it once might have been.

However, satisfying the food pyramid of starch, fat, protein, and brown gloomy sauce, the dish was welcomed if not to be specifically sought out in the future.

Complementary tea and daily stock was also served.


Complementary daily pork stock with vegetables

All in with service at £8.30, this was not a bad lunch by any stretch, but there is better to be had elsewhere.



No comments: