Friday 24 April 2009

British Rail - burger on board

Somewhere in Yorkshire
Aboard one of National Rail's finest



Having concluded a difficult week in Durham, and rushing to return to my gorgeous A waiting in London, I boarded the 14.17 service to King's Cross with nary a thought for lunch, and precious little time to check the luggage, let alone sip some water.



This particular train served hot food, and I was told by the stewardess (is that the correct term?) that a chef was on board to cook the burger to order. Hurrah the wonders of modern convenience!

Served with wedges and a salad, I savoured the wedges - slightly chewy with a wonderful potato flavour: just how I loved wedges. I poke the bun to take a photo of its contents and to my astonishment, the chef had forgotten to give me my burger patty!



Swift conversations and several apologies later, this was rectified and an enormous burger patty was presented in all its glory.



How did she not realise that this beastie was missing from my plate?! The meat was... sadly a little artificial, with a meatloaf texture and taste. Overall very passable, especially as the bun was fairly good when compared to kebab van drivel. The wedges were great, and salad pert and refreshing.

The damage: £8.95 for the burger wedges and salad. If I had been served that in a pub, I wouldn't complain. Definitely a cut above a greasy spoon, and a thankful alternative to drab and dry sandwiches.

No comments: